Favorite Video Game?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dartfrog0502, Sep 22, 2016.

Welcome to the BlockTown Community!

Want to join the rest of our members? Sign up today for a free account to get started!

1. dartfrog0502

dartfrog0502 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator

Minecraft Username:
    dartfrog0502
    Hey folks! I know a lot of you enjoy to play games other than Minecraft. That got me wondering, what are some of your favorite games, and why do you like them so much? There's just so many games out there (both popular and obscure) that it's often hard to find which of them are worthwhile to play. So I thought it would be a good idea for our community to share what we think about the better games we've played.

So, what's yours?

• Like Like x 1
  2. dartfrog0502

Minecraft Username:
    dartfrog0502
    I suppose I should share mine first... Mother 3. You know, the game with that one blond-haired kid that's in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Yeah, that game.
    lucas.jpg
    Mother 3 was an RPG released in Japan around 2006 for the GBA, but was never officially localized outside Japan. It's not your standard RPG though. It starts off by playing out the life of a rural family in the middle of Nowhere (literally). But... well, a lot happens, and you (as Lucas) end up befriending magical transvestites, fighting aliens in pig costumes, and tripping on some mushrooms. It's a very weird game.
    tumblr_ne0k690Xqs1rbyprqo1_1280.gif
    But aside from the occasional weirdness and quirky humor, there is something really touching about it. As the game progressed I began to sympathize with each of the characters (even the dog!) and for the often tragic scenarios they were forced to deal with...
    (e.g. The mom dies soon after the game begins)
    It is a very emotionally moving game, so unless you have a heart of stone, make sure have some tissues near you (I know I did :sob:).

The fanbase is extremely dedicated to the Mother series (or Earthbound series as it's known in everywhere but Japan). They made a 819-page petition to localize the game with over 30,000 backers, and they try to keep the series alive with unique and high quality fan games like Mother 4 and Knuckle Sandwich. They are so dedicated, in fact, that it's practically become a meme in the gaming community. Nintendo themselves even teased their fans at the E3 presentation in 2014:

But other than that, Nintendo has been strangely quiet regarding the series. Apart from a few nods to the community, there has been no word from Nintendo about its localization. So a number of fans released an unofficial translation of the game (that's how I found out about it). The fan localization is in excellent quality too, and can be found here: MOTHER 3 / EarthBound 2 Fan Translation (Note: You will also need an external emulator like OpenEmu or mGBA). However, its prequels Mother 1 (aka Earthbound Beginnings) and Mother 2 (aka EarthBound) are on Wii U eShop. I highly suggest trying out those games out too, and supporting the series!

Mother 3 is also up there for one of my favorite video game soundtracks! But I like many different kinds music so that's probably not saying much :laughing:

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
    EarthBound
    Super Metroid
    Super Smash Bros. 4
    Terraria
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Zelda II (yes you read that right)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 64Connor64

64Connor64 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Minecraft Username:
    64Connor64
    Super Mario Sunshine for sure!
    [​IMG]
    I love 3D platformers and in my opinion it doesn't get better than this one! This game has such a unique mechanic with F.L.U.D.D. (Mario's water pack) which allows for such fun and beautiful worlds. This game has arguably the best hub worlds out of every Mario game. Also, a fun thing to note is that it is the first 3D Mario game with Yoshi as a rideable character!
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, this game is the first to include my favorite Mario character... BOWSER JR!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  4. drsprite

drsprite Owner Staff Member Administrator Owner Donator

Minecraft Username:
    drsprite13
    If we're talking classic, then I don't think much beats Super Mario 3.

In recent years, I'm hooked on all the Call of Dutys (for xbox), and GTA 5.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Minecraft Username:
    kevin_the_cat
    Old
    Nintendo DS - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    Nintendo Wii - Super Paper Mario
    Nintendo Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
    Nintendo Wii - New Super Mario Brothers
    PS3 - Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

New
    PS4 - Battlefield 4
    PS4 - Grand Theft Auto V (Finished the campaign)
    PC - Terraria
    PC - Rimworld

I'm a casual gamer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. availium

availium Guest

Old:
    Anything on Nintendo, SNES and N64! I miss some of those old games. I've been playing them on an emulator recently - especially Tetris!

New games:
    Minecraft
    GTA V (really only play online only)
    Rocket League

:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. LeopardGecko44

LeopardGecko44 New Member

Minecraft Username:
    LeopardGecko44
    As an avid video game collector, I just had to step in.

MOTHER 3
    (if you want info on this game, check Dartfrog's post)

YOSHI'S ISLAND
    [​IMG]
    OMG, does this game bring back memories. This game is my favorite video game platformer and by far the best Yoshi Island game. If you have never played it, go check it out. This game revolutionized platformers with it puzzles, explorable level design and has some of the best graphics on the Super Nintendo.

BANJO KAZOOIE
    [​IMG]
    This is a classic gem in my book. This game is so quirky and crazy, the fact that your a talking bear with a talking bird in your backpack will be the least crazy thing on your mind. This game also tricks you by BEING THE HARDEST GAME EVER. This game is so hard that castlevania and ghosts and goblins look like sesame ABC's. I have not even come close to beating this game but I enjoy every moment I play it. Its fun, fast paced and I hold a special place in my heart for 3D platformers.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: (I don't have time to make a post on all of these)
    mario 64
    Earthbound
    Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Zelda: Link to the Past
    Kirby Squeak Squad
    Super Paper Mario

Thanks for checking out my post guys.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dartfrog0502

Minecraft Username:
    dartfrog0502
    @LeopardGecko44 But is Banjo-Kazooie harder than Zelda II? Or is it a different kind of hard than those NES games?

I've heard so many great things about that game though, I need to play it some time.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LeopardGecko44

LeopardGecko44 New Member

Minecraft Username:
    LeopardGecko44
    Idk about zelda 2 but the levels are so dang hard it their design and variety.